Saturday, April 19, 2008

Creating a Website

First thing you need to know about me is that I don't speak HTML, and I don't want to learn. Just give me a template and I can work with it. So I needed to find someone who would create the basic format for me and host the site.

I began with Book Graveyard - he set it up, I paid a year's fee of hosting plus the website setup fee, and I was in business. Got a few sales, but nothing much. Then, before the year was up, he disappeared from view and I was stuck in the lurch. Fortunately, the lady who did his webwork saved me. She moved me to Wanted Books and hosted me for free - for several years! Unfortunately, she had to get full-time employment and didn't have time to work on my site and I was getting tired of the same type of formatting, etc.

So she suggested Chrislands. I love them! It's very easy to use, I can change my graphics every week, I can play with various colors, I can change my information to say exactly what I mean, they have every function of a bookseller covered. Yes, it costs. But it's not terribly expensive and the service and improvements to functions are worth a lot to me. I now have a more professional looking site that has gateways to payments, can do gift certificates, can do coupons, and even more!

So when I heard that Abebooks bought Chrislands, I was upset. Here I had the perfect website deal going and here comes the 500 pound gorilla!

Lance assures us he and Jaymes still will run the site and make decisions about costs and services. I'm choosing to believe him - he hasn't lied to me yet. But I also have concerns about belonging to one of the big A's.

I was trying to be independent and do my own thing. My sales have improved on my site. And now I have to wonder about Abe's reputation tarnishing mine.

It's not easy being a bookseller - nor is it easy to remain independent.

Let's hope it all works out like Lance says. I'd have to have go looking for another setup - I don't think I could find one that works as well as this one does!

No comments:

Black Magic Kitten by Sara Bourgeois

Kinsley Skeenbauer never thought she would go home. At seventeen, she’d left Coventry and didn’t look back. But after a messy divorce, she p...