Thursday, December 29, 2011

Tom's Tweet by Jill Esbaum

This is one of the cutest picture books I've read in a long time and I loved it.  In fact, it's so special, I'm keeping my copy for my permanent library.  Even being a grandmother's age, I want to read it again and again to make me smile...

Alfred A Knopf sent me a copy of this book for review (thank you).  It was published on November 8th, so you can get a copy at your local bookstore now.  It was written for ages 5-8.

Dan Santat is the illustrator and his illustrations make the book outstanding!  Imagine Mommy bird almost pulling Tom's whiskers out because he has her baby.  His picture of that made me laugh.

Poor Tom.  He was going to eat him, but Tweet was just feather and bone, so he tried to put him back.  No luck with Mommy bird pecking at him.  So he sets him down and tries to ignore him, but Tweet is unhappy.  Tom decides he's hungry, but he's too small to eat worms.  So Tom has to chew the worms for him.  Oh, the indignities a cat suffers trying to raise a bird... Then little Tweet wants to sleep with him.  Will it never stop?

This is a marvelous story with luscious illustrations.  I don't see how any child would not find amusing and humorous.  If I had a little one in my family, I'd share it with them.  Check it out at the store.  I bet you take it home with you.

Happy reading.

4 comments:

JGodsey said...

damn now i need to buy that.

Barbara said...

This sounds so sweet I shall have to buy a copy for my granddaughter and maybe one for me!!!

Journey of a Bookseller said...

With all the pretty illustrated books you sell and collect, Barbara, I bet you will want to keep a copy of this one. And Tom has the same kind of figure as my cat, Harley. Big and fluffy!

Barbara said...

You got me there Jo Ann - I have decided I will treat myself. Happy New Year.

Bizard and the Big Bunny Bizness by Chrissie Krebs

When Bizard the Bear Wizard’s friends decide to try to help him grant wishes, it turns out that two magic wands are so much worse than one. ...