Friday, September 28, 2012

I Like Old Clothes by Mary Ann Hoberman

I lived with a lot of hand-me-downs as a child.  Our families shared clothing items between each other.  I was never real fond of it until I got a pair of cut offs that were already broken in...

Knopf sent me a copy of this picture book for review (thank you).  It has been published, so check with your local bookstore for a copy.

I just love Patrice Barton's illustrations.  They are so whimsical and colorful they make me smile.  Add Ms. Hoberman's easy rhyming text to it and you have a marvelous book.

This is tale of a little girl and her brother and the adventures they have by wearing the new "old" clothes or imagining who else has worn them.  It's charming tale and I highly recommend it.

Why not share it with your child?  It's sure to make them look at their clothes in a different way.

P.S.  I still buy clothes at thrift stores... 

Happy reading.

1 comment:

Shan said...

As the youngest girl yes I had hand me downs, but only from one sister as all was lost in 68 when our house burned to the ground.
I don't do thrift stores here in QC because they have an odour that turns my stomach but I have shopped in stores in Ontario and USA but my tastes are so particular I just find something I like, then buy one or two in different colors. My clothes last forever...then become painting/cleaning clothes.
Sounds like a good read, especially with finances being so tight and to help kids see beyond the material and maybe really start to dream!

A Full Moon in August by Joseph H. Randolph

Take a seat beside Thomas on a journey across Canada, from Toronto to Vancouver in 1981. For Thomas, this trip is a plunge into the unknown ...