Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Into the Woods: Tales from the Hollows and Beyond by Kim Harrison

Want to take a walk on the wild side?  This is the book for you...

Harper Voyager and Edelweiss allowed me to download an ebook of this anthology for review (thank you).  The book will be available at your local bookstore on October 9th.

Vampires, witches, dryads, and pixies abound in this anthology.  Ms. Harrison is very well versed in this fantasy world and has written several books on the subject.  The Hallows is one of her most popular series.  I have not read any of her work before.  This anthology is like a prequel to her other stories and I decided this was a good way to "taste" this author.

Ms. Harrison's words are fluid and her characters are distinctive.  She makes you care about these strange creatures and you sympathize with their problems.  All of these stories carry a bit of the dark within them and horror leaks into the pages here and there.

My favorite tales were about the pixies.  The idea of small creatures living in the garden or forest has always appealed to me.

If you enjoy dark fantasy, this book will be a favorite of yours.  It's also a great way to try a new author and see if her characters and writing appeal to you.  I'm not fond of vampires, but I did find some characters within these pages that I will be looking in her other books.  I want to know more about them.

Happy reading.

No comments:

The Case of the Gilded Lies by Earl Staley Gardner

The ingredients were quite one middle-aged tycoon with a lovely young wife; one oh-so-apologetic visitor to the tycoon's office; one dev...