Thursday, September 12, 2013

Spider Woman's Daughter by Anne Hillerman

Bernie is coming out of the restaurant heading back to the job when she watches Joe Leaphorn walk to his vehicle.  Someone with a gun exits the car next to him and shoots him directly in the face...

Harper and Edelweiss allowed me to download a copy of an ebook of this story for review (thank you).  It will be published the first of October, so make a note to check with your local bookstore then.
 
Anne is Tony Hillerman's daughter and I wanted to see how she did at writing a mystery with her father's characters.  I was delighted to see it was almost exactly like her father's style.  If anything, she added a bit more Indian history and culture to the tale with a more complex mystery.  I was pleased.

Bernie and Jim both work hard on this case.  Leaphorn was a mentor to them as well as a very good friend and they're afraid he'll die.  They will not let his shooter get away.

As usual, there is  a lot of side steps and gentle questions while dealing with the natives and the hoity toity white folks.

My only disappointment was that I was suspicious of the killer from the very beginning.  Maybe that's just because I'm cynical.  No one else seemed to think the person was odd.  I challenge you to read this mystery and then let me know if you suspected the same person or if it was a surprise to you as it was to Chee.  Go ahead, prove me wrong.  You'll get a good read out of it on the way.

Happy reading.

No comments:

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...