Sunday, November 3, 2013

Police by Jo Nesbo

If you haven't read anything by Jo Nesbo yet, you need to remedy that.  This man gets inside my head and scares me.  He fools me, teases me, horrifies me with death scenes and no character is safe.  Evil permeates this world and those who know too much or are in the way suddenly die.  Now that I've warned you, do you still want to learn about this book?  Despite all these factors, when I got a copy to read I was impatient to read it.  I love his writing, as mean as it may be.

Alfred A Knopf sent me an ARC of this book for review (thank you).  It was published in October, so you can find a copy at your local bookstore now.  Don't just buy this one, pick up the others so you can sample more of the author's books.  They are all good and highly recommended by me.

Harry Hole is back again.  He's no longer with the police, he's teaching about criminology at a university for those training to be cops.  He's doing well at it.  Happiness has been elusive for Harry and he feels he might actually get a handle on it.  Harry should have known better...

Mr. Nesbo is Norwegian, so most of his stories are filled with cold weather and a determined Norwegian police force.  As with all walks of life, some are better than others, some are on the greedy side, and some only want to see justice done, whether it's on the right side of the law or the wrong.

Harry has secrets.  He has to keep them or people he knows and love will be hurt.  Most of the characters in this story have secrets.  And lots of people get hurt.

You have a cop killer that's recreating a previous crime that was investigated.  The cop dies in the same place, in the same fashion.  As time goes on that disintegrates but they can't find any evidence to help solve the crime.  As the bodies stack up, Harry is asked to help.  He doesn't want to, but feels he has an obligation to.  After all, he's one of those that believes in justice.

No one is safe, no one is telling the whole truth, and none are free of "sin".  Who the killer was really surprised me.  I hadn't even considered that person.

The ending is stunning.  And, as always, the last page of the book gives you a clue about what the next book will be about.  He's sneaky like that.  Wants to make sure you'll want to read it. 

How can someone this handsome be so mean?

Happy reading.

No comments:

A Full Moon in August by Joseph H. Randolph

Take a seat beside Thomas on a journey across Canada, from Toronto to Vancouver in 1981. For Thomas, this trip is a plunge into the unknown ...