Saturday, December 7, 2013

Futuredaze, an Anthology edited by Hannah Strom-Martin and Erin Underwood

Here's a nice collection of short stories that focus on fantasy and science fiction.  I didn't read much science fiction when I was young, but these stories would have enticed me and made me read more, I'm sure.  I also read it now whenever it appeals to me and this collection did.

Underworld's Press gave me the opportunity to read this ebook for review (thank you).  It has been published and you can grab a copy in ebook or print at your local bookstore.

The stories are all written well, vary greatly and some are re-writes of classics in a time period.  There's also poetry, but poetry isn't my thing so you'll have to decide how you like it.  My thing is prose.

Futuredaze includes pieces by Jack McDevitt, Nancy Holder, Gregory Frost, Lavie Tidhar, Sandra McDonald, Brittany Warman, Stephen Covey, E. Kristin Anderson, Alex Dally MacFarlane, Jenny Blackford, and many more!

The stories are not long and as I finished one I would think:  "Nice job!" and then jump into the next one.  The one that stuck with me most is a sci fi version of The Lady or the Tiger.   This one is titled:  Clockwork Airlock and Nancy Holder is the author.  The first version of this story was in a schoolbook in grade school and I never had a firm opinion over which one the poor victim picked.  I wrote two endings, one with the lady and one with the tiger.  The story in this anthology made me want to stand up and say:  Don't, don't touch that door!  There was no ambivalence in this story from my point of view.

I like short stories and these are good examples of what you can accomplish with less words.  The stories are very good.  They are written for young adult, but I found them enjoyable.  Why not give them a read yourself?

No comments:

Bizard and the Big Bunny Bizness by Chrissie Krebs

When Bizard the Bear Wizard’s friends decide to try to help him grant wishes, it turns out that two magic wands are so much worse than one. ...