Sunday, June 15, 2014

Your Perfect Life by Liz Fenton and Lisa Steinke

This book caught my attention because it touches a fantasy I've had for a long time.  I've often wished I could trade places with someone for a day and live their life.  Driving by and seeing someone on the porch by the river made me wish I was there instead, or someone riding horses on the beach and laughing in joy.  I'd look at them and think it would be fun to feel what they were feeling.  In this book, the women are friends who have a disagreement at class reunion and find themselves wearing each other bodies and living the other person's life.  Boy, do they have a lot to learn...

Atria Books sent me an ARC of this book to read for review (thank you).  It has been published, so check with your local bookstore for a copy.

Casey works as a host for Gossip TV and has given up love and family to be successful in her career.  Rachel is the mom to three and has been married for twenty years.  Switching places is a shock!  Casey can handle anything anyone throws her on TV, but she sure can't change a diaper.  Nor is she trained in handling teenagers.  She suddenly begins to understand why Rachel looked the way she did and why she was always tired.

Rachel can't believe she's so thin or so pretty after occupying Casey's body.  What she can't understand is how mean everybody is to her.  Everyone in the TV business is stabbing everyone else in the back.  Surprisingly, she also learns that she's good at doing the journalist work she'd always planned on doing before she got pregnant.  She makes Casey an even bigger star.

Meanwhile, Casey is helping her family over some rough spots, including the estrangement Rachel and her husband felt.  By involving the husband in family activities and sprucing up Rachel's look a bit, things are looking up.

They're really trying hard to find the bartender that brought them the drink that made them switch.  They want to switch back.  He tells them that they have to really want the change before it can happen.

The ending is amusing and fun.  It's a bit fantastic, but sometimes life is that way.  What I do know after reading this is that I think I won't worry about other people's lives.  My life keeps me busy enough!

No comments:

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...