Sunday, May 31, 2015

L.A. Rotten A Tom Tanner Mystery by Jeff Klima

Tom Tanner had a secret.  He's a clean up man for dead bodies.  He's learned enough while studying to be a doctor to know how to do it.  He's almost qualified for forensics.  But his big secret is that it doesn't bother him to do it.  It takes a special kind of person to do that with no compunctions.  And someone knows that...

Alibi and Net Galley allowed me to read this book for review (thank you).  It was published May 12th, so you can find a copy at your local bookstore now.

This book bothered me.  There's psycho killing people who occupy a motel room in a common motel chain by the freeway in LA.  It's the same room number each time,  just a different motel.  As Tanner tries to explain what's going on to the cops, they could care less.  Then the psycho starts calling him.  He wants to partner up with Tom.

Being around Tom is like carrying a stick of dynamite in your hand; he's dangerous to be around.  Most of the people who are friends with him end up dead.  When his enemies start getting killed, it's time to get worried.

This is an unforgiving mean story that I thought about quitting before I finished it.  But it was busy, things were developing and I kept going.  Even when I thought it was beyond redemption, the author sweeps in and finishes it up nicely.  I'm glad I finished it, but I'm not sure I'd read another in this series.  It's just a bit too violent and mean for me.

No comments:

Lioness of Punuab by Anita Jari Kharbanda

“We will fight here,” I commanded the warriors. “We are strong. We will have no fear. As Sikh warriors, we are ready to fight for justice. V...