Sunday, May 17, 2015

The Mystery Writers of America Cookbook edited by Kate White

A collection of recipes from established mystery writers with little stories from them about where they came from?  How could a mystery reader like myself not review this one?

Quirk Books sent me a copy of this book for review (thank you).  It has been published, so grab a copy now at your local bookstore.

This book is filled with recipes from easy to complex.  There are flavorful gatherings of spices and ingredients that I've never used.  The authors are sure to tell you if you get a bit or less of one ingredient in there, it won't matter.  They also tell you when you must be most precise.  They cover every type of food and drink.  If you enjoy cooking, you'll have a lot of fun with these recipes.

I've picked a few to share with you.  They are recipes that sound real good to me and they are easy to cook.  (One of my requirements.  If you get too many types of spices or too many food items, it puts me off.)

Nelson DeMille offers Male Chauvenist Pigs in the Blanket.  If that recipe name doesn't make you smile, the real change in ingredients here is a can of beer and chili powder.  Sounds intriguing to me.

Next one up is Sue Grafton.  She does Kinsey Millhone's Famous Peanut Butter & Pickle Sandwich.  That whole idea has made me shudder for ages (I've read all the books).  When I found out the pickles were bread and butter pickles, it changed the whole picture.  Still sounds a bit strange, but I like them on ham and would try peanut butter.  At least once...

Hallie Ephron offers Simplest Ever Potato Pancakes.  They've always sounded good and these appear to be easy to make.  I might actually do this!

Joseph Finder's Doreen's Apple Crumble is European and has no rolled oats in it.  It sounds and looks delicious.  The recipe sounds a lot better than what I've eaten in the past.  I'll have to try this.

My favorite recipe though is Lee Child's.  He offers:  Coffee, Pot of One.  He not only tells you how to make it, he tells you what kind of cup to drink it out of.  He's definitely a coffee addict.

It's fun to read, has good recipes and it feels like visiting old friends.  What more could you want?

No comments:

The Case of the Gilded Lies by Earl Staley Gardner

The ingredients were quite one middle-aged tycoon with a lovely young wife; one oh-so-apologetic visitor to the tycoon's office; one dev...