Saturday, December 3, 2016

New Worlds, Old Ways: Speculative Tales from the Caribbean by Karen Lord

Tales sound different when they come from other parts of the world.  Even across the states when they are gathered from one area you pick up on local legends and beliefs.  The Caribbean has an even greater pot of beliefs to use since it has seen so many different people moving through.  I wasn't sure what to expect when I began reading this, but I'm glad I did.

Peekash Press allowed me to read this book for review (thank you).  It has been published, so you can grab a copy now.

I didn't know what to make of some of these stories.  I had trouble seeing what the author was trying to show me.  I did find three I want to point out because they touched me.  Ironic endings always grab my attention.

My favorite was the story titled The Ceremony by Elizabeth Jones.  There's a family tradition where the girls must be named one name carried down the family line and they inherit the house and lands when their mother dies.  The current owner does that, but she has a secret.  When the ceremony takes place something unexpected happens.  It's not pleasant but it made me smile.  There's more than one way to break a curse.

Water Under the Bridge by Richard B Lynch is one that will make the hair on the back of your neck stand up.  She's tired of being abused by her mother's boyfriend so she asks for help from a local lady.  She helps her alright.  No one is going to bother her again...

Daddy by Damion Wilson is a strange tale.  She's taking care of Daddy but he's not responding.  When you find out why, it's chilling.

You'll have to let me know which gems in this book stood out to you.  Lands of legends have strange tales.

No comments:

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...