Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Gilded Cage by Vic James

This is a dark tale about the misuse of magic.  There are the "haves" and "have nots" in this world just like in the world we live now, but those with "skills" are vindictive and mean.  They are also the ruling class and the other unfortunates are slaves.  They only have to serve for ten years but not all of them survive them.  This not a nice world.

Del Rey and Net Galley allowed me to read this book for review (thank you).  It will be published on February 14th.

The various characters in this book each have their own chapters.  You get the story from all sides.  The skilled and the slaves both have their say.  The story is put together well and the plot stays together.  The author even made me care about some of the characters; others I learned to hate.  I  didn't enjoy reading this as much as I expected.  There's too much bad happening.  I wanted a lighter read and this does not qualify for that.

One thing that really sent a shiver up my spine is the fact that the skilled can use mind control on you.  That scares me.  Imagine doing something you don't want to do because they made you...

I do think that young adult readers will enjoy it.  It's a well told tale, but just a bit too dark for me.  That might just be my age talking.  Give it a try and see what you think.

No comments:

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...