Wednesday, April 11, 2018

The Lido by Libby Page

She's 86 years old and she swims in the lido (swimming pool) daily.  She's still in the apartment she and her husband lived in and she can see the pool from there.  It's an important part of her life.  And now they want to close it and sell the land to a new developer...

LoveReading and Simon & Schuster sent me an ARC of this book to read for review (thank you).  It will be published July 10th.

This story brought back memories for me.  I was a finance director in the past and if you mentioned closing the pool because it never made any money, you could fill the council chambers with folks who spoke against it.  I also took care of my grandmother in the summer so I could relate to Rosemary.  Rosemary has memories, too.

The councilors aren't listening, the newspaper editor tells the young reporter to stop doing stories about the potential closure and the people affected, and everyone is getting depressed and feeling hopeless.  But they aren't giving up.  You have protests, they occupy the pool, and Ahmed comes up with a good idea.  With everyone working together, they manage to stop the company from acquiring it.

Some of the characters disappointed me by their actions but they redeemed themselves before the story was over.  This was like a trip back in the past for me and I enjoyed reading about the young journalist and the older lady.  They make a good team!

No comments:

The Case of the Gilded Lies by Earl Staley Gardner

The ingredients were quite one middle-aged tycoon with a lovely young wife; one oh-so-apologetic visitor to the tycoon's office; one dev...